Did you know that color can indicate a lot about personality, emotion, and thought processes? There is psychology behind almost everything, color is no exception. Take a look around your home, see what colors and shades you use most frequently and take note. Then consult to the list below and see if the descriptions match up to you and how you interpret things around you, and react to them. You might also want to use this chart as a guide to redecorate your home or office space to give off a different effect! Decode your color conscious now:
I have always had a fascination with libraries. Aside from being an avid reader, I think there is something aesthetically pleasing about walking into a room filled with so many different works of literature, bound in beautiful canvases and sitting beautifully on well organized shelves. Over the years I have come to acquire a vast collection of books, and I have always purchased run of the mill, plain MDF bookcases. So as I am always looking for DIY projects, and fun pastimes, I found a few bookcases that really intrigued my interest, and I am currently narrowing down the list of my top picks to decide on which one I’ll be creating for my home. Check out these six DIY brilliant bookcases. If you’re not a reader, they might just inspire you to become one! (Descriptions correspond to photos clockwise)
1. Pallets – I love this idea because there is so much room on how you could arrange, paint, or decorate the pallets. The usage of lighting here is really spectacular. Pallets are super easy to find. Check out a local grocery store, warehouse, or garden center!
2. Recycled wine box – I love this idea. You can cover the interior with fabric from a favorite article of clothing, or a heavy wrapping paper as an alternative. I would mix and match patterns and colors. Definitely one of the best I have seen!
3. Scrap Wood – I love the different colors and textures of this, all put together to create a unique pattern. Functional art at it’s finest!
4. Hollowed out instrument – Love, love, love. Even if you don’t have something like this at home, it would be fun to try to recreate if you’re handy with wood. For a smaller piece, a guitar is really fun too!
5. Old furniture – Turn an already used piece of furniture into a bookcase – in this case they utilized a china cabinet – it really looks very antiquated and prestigious. Although not really my style, I might take the same piece and paint it a fun metallic like silver!
6. Word(s) – This might be my number one choice – I’m all about statement pieces, and this is really great for someone with a larger collection. I’ve seen the usage of other words, i.e. Love, Friend, etc. I think it would be awesome to have a quote spelt out – but that’s really ambitious. Let’s keep it simple for now. Enjoy! =)
Years ago, I was looking for something unique to adorn my statement wall in my bedroom. So I took to the internet to see what I might be able to find. My color scheme was a variety of corals, golds, and browns. With the statement wall being a bright coral, I wanted to tone it down a bit. I wanted something that added to the wall, something simple yet elegant. I couldn’t find a piece of art that I really connected with – more so because it clashed with the many colors I was using. So I thought a wall decal might be fun. I have always loved the idea of having quote wall decals, but I just could not find anything generic that suited my taste or my color palette. I finally found a site that allowed me to personalize my own quote, as well as choose the color, size, and font. I was thrilled with the results, it looked amazing! Since then, sites like Etsy and Sign.com have come to accommodate not only customized lettering decals, but also photo decals, photo canvases, etc. There are so many different ways to incorporate wall decals/wall art into your décor, any room, any style of your choice. They definitely add dimension to a space, and are easy to remove. Check out some of my favorite uses of wall decals!
A friend of mine recently suggested that she may want to paint her bedroom black. I, for one, am never opposed to black. I think it is sophisticated, smart and sleek. It does not matter if we’re talking about clothing, cars, or walls. The thing is that when you have an abundance of black, or any dark color, it may be overwhelming. Thus, you need to lighten it up with accessories and bright accent pieces. Most people automatically pair black with white, which is elegant. However, bright colors are always a great idea when it comes to complementing black and white. So we took to the Pinterest boards to see what some people did to achieve the right look with black walls. We found quite a few interesting ideas. Some even had black kitchens – that’s different! Although I was a tiny bit apprehensive about black walls before, I would definitely try it at least once!
I like to think of myself as a connoisseur of all things aesthetic. In saying that, I have a admiration and appreciation of the arts. I have always loved works by van Gogh, Matisse, and even Warhol. I feel that you could find beauty in most works of art, it’s all about interpretation. True, some use more colorful palettes than others, but that does not take away any of the marvel captured in any and every piece. I have always wanted to decorate a room inspired by one of my favorite pieces, and in one of my recent pinterest binges, I found the perfect companion to assist in this pursuit. Check out Vhue.com, which allows you to “add insight to design” by selecting from a category i.e., arts, culture, decor, wedding, etc and in turn produces a color palette, color or industry trend or mood board based on your selection. I chose Starry Night.
Ever wonder if your zodiac sign could describe or indicate certain personal traits, likes or dislikes? Well, I did some research, and I have come to find that each sign has very distinctive tastes and styles. Check out the chart I made, and picks below (all featured on Inmod) see if they aligns with your stars !