There are some essential ingredients we reach for when cooking or creating a beauty concoction that can easily be grown indoors. There are some essential ingredients we reach for when cooking or creating a beauty concoction that can easily be grown indoors.
1. Aloe Vera is a perfect plant to be used on burns, scrapes or cuts especially when cooking or baking. You literally just break a piece off the plant and use the gel inside directly on the wound. You can also use it in a variety of homemade beauty products including lotions and salves
2. Rosemary – fresh rosemary is delicious when cooking chicken or fish. You can pluck a few pieces off your plant and lay out to dry or dry in the oven. You can also use it fresh and sprinkle a few sprigs on top of your dish for roasting and baking.
3. Basil – Basil is another wonderful herb that can be used dried or fresh. You can use basil in salads or with any dish where basil will enhance its flavor. Just pluck a few basil leaves off your plant and place on or in your dish. I love a cutting a few slices of tomatoes with mozzarella cheese and adding one or two pieces of basil on top with balsamic vinaigrette drizzled on top. Yum!
4. Thyme – thyme grows quickly and abundantly in the home and is another wonderful herb for cooking! I typically pluck several sprigs off and place in the oven or lay out to dry to use in a variety of dishes.
5. Mint – mint is also another great herb to grow indoors. My mint plant is currently growing outdoors because it exploded in abundance! Mint can be used in a variety of dishes but also works great in mixed drinks like mojitos! I use a mortar and pestle to grind the leaves to release the oils. I sometimes even pluck a few pieces off for a quick breath refresher. You can use this herb in many beauty products by extracting the oils including lip balm and lotions.
These are just a few of the many herbs that can be grown indoors but I found them to do the best with daily water and mild sunlight. Place them on the windowsill in your kitchen or in a sun / green room in your house. Be careful to not have too much direct sunlight throughout the day for possibly drying them out. You can grow these beauties from seed to full plant, so have fun, enjoy and happy growing!