Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in the states to commemorate Mexican heritage and to express Mexican pride. One of the most necessary foods to have at any Cinco de Mayo celebration is of course that delicious, creamy green dip – Guacamole! Guacamole originated with the Aztecs in Mexico and is a definitely a must-have when preparing the cuisine. Below is a Guacamole recipe to help kick-start your Cinco de Mayo fiesta!
First – gather your ingredients. You will need extra-ripe avocadoes, salt, black pepper, lemon juice (or lime) chopped cilantro, chiles, onion and even tomatoes if you want!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup of minced red onion or thinly sliced green onion
- 1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped
- A dash of freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
Cut the avocados in half. Remove the seeds, scoop out the avocado and put it in a mixing bowl. Use a fork and mash the avocado. Sprinkle the salt and lime or lemon juice in the mixture. Then add the chopped onions, cilantro, black pepper and chiles. Be cautious with the amount of chili peppers you add. The peppers vary in their hotness. Start with a ½ of one chili pepper and add more depending on your desired degree of hotness. Once all the ingredients are blended together, the process is complete! It is truly that simple! Now you are ready to chow down with some chips or add to your favorite taco or burrito.