Skin is a sensitive subject for anyone who is suffering with pimples, acne, calluses, rough or oily skin. There are a ton of soaps on the market as miracle treatments for these issues, however, many contain ingredients such as deodorizers, colorants and fragrances that can be drying and damaging to the skin.
Homemade Castile soap is an excellent alternative to help those pesky skin issues you may be having and the best part is it’s made using all natural ingredients and you can make it yourself at home!
- Start with pre-made Castile soap flakes, order online or find at a local health store. Add your choice of exfoliators. Some great choices are oatmeal, cornmeal or coffee grinds. Next, add your favorite essential oil such as lavender, sweet orange, lemon or peppermint to give it a comforting scent. Some people prefer to not add essential oils allowing the Castile soap to retain its natural aroma.
Acne & Oily Skin – Use lavender or tea tree essential oil with powdered cinnamon or cloves
Calluses and rough skin on feet and hands – Use cornmeal and dried peppermint leaves
Dry skin on body or face – Use eucalyptus essential oil with coffee grounds
Strong Body Odor – Use peppermint or patchouli essential oil
- Use roughly six, 6 oz containers as candle molds. Bottom halves of pint sized cardboard milk cartons or washed and dried tuna cans work well.
- Grease your containers with all-vegetable shortening. Boil about 2 quarts of water in a pot and then reduce to medium low heat. Add your Castile soap flakes – adding about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Fold them into the water gently but do not mix rapidly. Add your choice of exfoliators to the mix, then turn the heat to medium.
- Remove the pot from the stove and add about 40 – 60 drops of your essential oil, if you choose to add one. Pour your soap into the containers until 3/4 full and let the soap stand for about 6 hours.
- You can use a knife to separate soap from the mold gently. Allow the soaps to air-dry, preferably on a drying rack, but you can also place them on a towel for about 24 hours.
In one day, you can make homemade Castile soap for any skin issues you may be experiencing. Additionally, Castile soaps make great gifts and they can be customized to fit the needs of whoever you are giving them to because you have the flexibility of adding the best essential oils or exfoliating scrubbers for their skin type!